Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yes, I'm Getting Around to It

It took a lot to finally get me here. Writing this has been on my mind for a few years, but I've been a bit apprehensive about putting it all out there for the world to read.

People think I'm cheap. At least the impression I get from others is that they think I'm cheap. I have this OCD type fascination with couponing. Is it a shopping personality disorder? Hoarding? While I understand the first step towards solving a problem is admitting you have a problem, I don't necessarily know if I'm at that point yet...... wanting to stop.

I run numbers in my head. If something costs $1.86, with a 5% surcharge (like tax, I'll explain later), that makes it REALLY $1.95. Why don't stores just add the sales tax/surcharge right into the price so we don't have to calculate the whole silly tax thing in too?

OK, back to my confession. Say I stumble onto a coupon for the item I mentioned above that's good for $4 off that item? Well, if the store you shop at will give you the whole $4 off the cost of the item, you should end up $2.05 ahead for each item. Buying a hundred with a hundred coupons? That's $205.00!

I've found stores that will do this. I've found stores that have this written into their organizational policy to allow this to happen. So there lies the dilemma, do you allow the store to hand you cash? Or do you use the proceeds towards purchasing things you would use, things you need?

I've done both. I've done both A LOT.

Next up: Exactly why I'm here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment